Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Oh Israel



They do not get it. Israel has just witnessed some of the most awesome displays of God's power of any people in the history of the world. They are just a few months out of Egypt's captivity, they have their manna given to them daily by God, yet they still don't trust God to deliver them.

They are told in Numbers 13 by God to go and possess the promised land. I would like that if Heavenly Father told me to go to the place he has promised for me. And the people that went to scout it out agreed, the land was beautiful and rich and fantastic, but they also exaggerated what it would take to get there. They said the Canaanites were of great stature, and "giants" and the Israelites were like "grasshoppers" vv. 28, 32–33. Pretty much saying that they are untouchable and the Israelites probably couldn't drive them out of the land. Right. Of course. I mean, what has God done for you recently? Just helped you escape from one of the most powerful people in the whole world at the time, and not just that but then DESTROYED their army without you lifting a finger. Of course those exaggerated or "evil reports" as they are called in the bible get back to Israel and they whineagain about how it would be better to have just stayed in Egypt. And not just that, they then started trying to get another leader "elected" that would take them back to Egypt. Numbers 14:4

When God gives me experiences in life, do I take them and know that eventually through them I will get closer to God and become more like him? (Which means a happier, more fulfilled person as well!) I hope that I do, but sometimes I think we revert back like Israel and try to say well remember when... we were back in our old house? With all our old friends, and our perfect life? Life does that. It helps us remember the good and forget most of the bad, so we don't remember barely making ends meet, or the emotional rollercoaster from a child being sick in the hospital, or the basement flooding often in that "perfect" old house.

Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles explains that God loves us perfectly and “would not require [us] to experience a moment more of difficulty than is absolutely needed for [our] personal benefit or for that of those [we] love.”5

Do we trust that, or do we wonder if God even knows or notices us in our times of heartache and/or heartbreak?

Do we trust God will eventually deliver us, as he has done for us time and time again?

I hope I can stand with quiet strength and firmness through my trials and know that I will be given the strength to endure at the very least, but often I do get through the trial and I am a better stronger person because of them.

Elder Richard G. Scott taught that “the Lord is intent on [our] personal growth and development. … Progress is accelerated when [we] willingly allow Him to lead [us] through every growth experience [we] encounter. … If [we] question [every unpleasant challenge], … [we] make it harder for the Lord to bless [us].”8 But if we center our hearts and minds on the Lord’s will, we will gain more happiness in the journey and more fulfillment in life.

Fascinating, this little post did not even come close to what I was expecting it to, but I'm happy with where it went, and I hope I can learn this lesson from Israel, and not repeat it.



1 comment:

  1. I've just finished catching up on your posts and I found them to be very satisfying and illuminating. Your insights on the Bible have made me want to study those lessons more thoroughly. Thanks for the great lift!! Love you!! Carol

    ReplyDelete