Thursday, April 1, 2010

Charity from Kate's point of view

My Photo

My friend Kate!

These next few thoughts are from my friend Kate's point of view about a talk she heard John Bytheway in sacrament meeting a few weeks ago. I was definitely inspired by these words, and I hope you are too.

John Bytheway spoke in our Sacrament Meeting today. He is a High Councilman for our stake. He gave a great talk about charity. He said that often we read scriptures that are so comforting, and inspiring, but in his study, he has found that there are seven scriptures that hit him to the core, and "throw [him] against the wall." He shared one of those seven with us today. He read 1 Cor 13:1-3.

It reads: "Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."

Then he went on to explain that tinkling cymbal means 'meaningless noise.' So even though we we may be a great speaker, and give a great talk, if we have not charity, we are nothing. We may attend all of our meetings, and really know the scriptures in the New and Old Testament, the Book of Mormon and the P of GP; We may dress the part, all of which are wonderful things-- but if we do not treat others with Christlike love, then we are nothing.

I like it when he shared an experience that Sheri Dew had when a General Authority came to her ward, and taught Sunday School. He asked the class what characterizes a truly converted member of the church? Many raised their hands with ideas that this GA wrote on the board. After all were shared, he took the eraser, and erased every answer on the board- except "the way we treat others." This is the reflection of our true conversion to Christ.. the way we treat other people. John Bytheway said that sometimes he wishes that he could go somewhere with all his gospel books, and just study them and feast, and get away from all the people. But it is the people we come in contact with and how we treat them in our lives that is the essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This really hit me! Then he talked about Pres. Monson. He is such an amazing example of serving others, of putting them first; of never placing principle or judgment ahead of just loving others. Isn't this amazing! I absolutely love the Gospel. I love the Savior, and His perfect love for each of us. I am grateful for examples of Christlike love in my life.

John also shared a thought by another GA that Charity has three components. It's a certain quality of love... it's love for God, love from God, and love like God. John said that each day he ponders the words of the hymn "Have I Done Any Good In the World Today?" Have I helped anyone in need? He challenged us to pray for that love, "which passeth all understanding." He also said that the scriptures teach us the importance of a mighty change of heart, which changes our behavior. The more we love Christ and feel love from Him, the more we want to share it with others. I am grateful for these beautiful insights.

Charity is definitely where it's at!

No comments:

Post a Comment