Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ruth

I haven't really understood the story of Ruth very clearly before, but this time I think I'm getting it a little more, and why Ruth is such a great example to us.

In Ruth chapter 1 Naomi and Elimelech go to Moab because there is a famine in their hometown of Beth-lehem-judah. They are there awhile, and their two sons marry two women from Moab. Meaning they did not marry in their faith.

Then Elimelech dies as well as his two sons.

President Thomas S. Monson said:

“In our selection of heroes, let us nominate also heroines. First, that noble example of fidelity—even Ruth. Sensing the grief-stricken heart of her mother-in-law, who suffered the loss of each of her two fine sons, and feeling perhaps the pangs of despair and loneliness which plagued the very soul of Naomi, Ruth uttered what has become that classic statement of loyalty: ‘Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.’ ( Ruth 1:16 .) Ruth’s actions demonstrated the sincerity of her words. There is place for her name in the Hall of Fame.” ( “My Personal Hall of Fame,” Ensign, Nov. 1974, p. 108 .)

She not only comforted her mother-in-law by words, but she left HER homeland and HER upbringing and faith to go back with Naomi to Beth-lehem-judah. I am sure she was converted to the faith maybe through Naomi's example, but then never faltered the rest of her life in living that, and in showing her devotion to Naomi. Ruth also knew she wouldn't have very many opportunities to marry again in Naomi's homeland. She even worked in the fields gleaning the wheat (which was left for the poor and alien) to provide for her and Naomi. A very humbling job I am sure, and I have to say, I am very impressed.

Being in Utah right now I have been staying with both my parents and my in-laws. And although I love my in-laws and they are very accomodating and wonderful, there is just something so much more comfortable about living in the home you grew up in. Ruth left all that behind selflessly to comfort and provide for Naomi, and that is why she is so amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment