Sunday, May 9, 2010

Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother

I remember one time when I was in my teens talking to my aunt one day about my parents. I was so frustrated that I had so many chores and responsibilities and said "I think my parents had me so I could work for them!"

I think about that to this day as my aunt gently corrected me and told me the obvious that my prideful self centered teenager person couldn't see, but my parents really did so much for us ALL the time. And it would probably be easier for them to just do the dishes or clean the living room themselves than prod and push and get us to clean those areas. And if I needed more to think about, how about all those dirty diapers and hours of lost sleep they had when I was a baby/toddler. Did they do that so they could have a few dish nights off later? And dishes are way easier with two people rather than 8 or 10 or sometimes 15 at our house! (And being a mom myself now, I realize how much more work it is than I could even imagine back then! Not to mention pregnancy and childbirth- yikes!)

In Matthew 7:9-11 it says
"9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

I take this to mean that most parents are doing their best. Now they might not be perfect, (as they haven't been parents before they probably will make mistakes), but most are trying hard! They aren't thinking what can I do to bug my child today, but trying their best to help them grow up with correct principles.

And not just trying hard, most ARE selflessly serving and giving to their children. And Heavenly Father wanted to make sure we understood the importance and order of family relationships with this commandment.

Now honoring and obeying are different things, although usually they follow the same path. Some people are thinking how do I honor a parent that is telling me to do something wrong, or not living up to the commandments?

The Old Testament institute manual addresses this. It says:


"To honor
means to “bring honor to or to have an attitude of honoring.” Obedience means “to follow direction or example.” Paul said, “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right” ( Ephesians 6:1 ; emphasis added), and then immediately thereafter adds, “Honour thy father and mother” ( v. 2 ). This time, however, he added no qualifying statement, describing it only as the “first commandment with promise” ( Ephesians 6:2 ). To obey one’s parents in the Lord means to obey them in righteousness (see McConkie, Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 2:521). Anytime a child lives righteously he brings honor to his parents, whether those parents are themselves righteous or wicked. The opposite is also true. Anytime a child lives wickedly he brings shame to his parents, whether or not the parents are righteous. So, honoring parents may not always imply obeying them. In those relatively few cases where parents may ask for or encourage unrighteous behavior in their children, the individual brings dishonor to his parents if he obeys them"

So in short the best way we can honor our parents is by living righteously. 3 John 1:4 states "I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in truth. " and I know that is how many parents feel. They don't want diamonds or vacations or expensive presents from their children to feel honored by them. They want to know their children are honest and kind and gentle and wonderful contributing members to society, their own families, and building the kingdom of God righteously.


I love my parents and what they have taught me. They not only taught me the truths of the gospel from when I was an infant, they lived as such amazing examples of Christ everyday, and I still think I have the best parents in the whole wide world.


HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Every time I hear that scripture in Matthew, it makes me think of the new movie the Church put out "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration". Have you seen it? There's a part where Joseph Smith, Sr. sees one of his young sons looking longingly at a wooden toy horse in a store window. Then we see Joseph Smith, Sr. carving a similar horse during a cold frosty day. He gives it to his little boy, and the boy's eyes just light up. Of course he couldn't afford the store-bought one, but he worked lovingly to make something to please his son. That scripture is heard as a voice-over during the sequence. It makes me cry every time! It's just so sweet and loving.

    Joseph Smith, Jr. watches this, and realizes from his earthly father's example that his Heavenly Father truly will "give good things to them that ask him".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving me the greatest Mothers Day present ever--being faithful in the gospel. There IS no greater joy than seeing your children walking in light and truth and then seeing them bring up their children in light and truth. (Well, maybe besides having them give you grandchildren...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Brooke! I wanted to let you know that your blog hit a nerve for me today. I have been praying to God to show me how to honor my father even though he makes me angry all the time. As I was idlely looking for a blog, I came across yours and I know that God led me to yours. I want to say thank you and may God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete