Sunday, October 17, 2010

Isaiah 49 and 50

I love that because there are no expectations from the 3 readers that read this blog (my mom, and in-laws) so I can go two weeks without posting anything and no one notices. It would be a lot more responsibility if more people read it, (like say 15?) and then I would feel more compelled to write every day, and I really enjoy just writing a few of my scripture thoughts here and there every once in awhile rather than it being a set daily thing. I like structure and order in my life, but also randomness and spontaneity. Don't you?

O.k. we're still delving into Isaiah. And because of General Conference and then fast Sunday the week after we have just been set full throttle on Isaiah for the past month. And it has been fantastic.

If you need a place to start why not try Isaiah 49. Monte S. Nyman observed that “ chapter 49 is one of the most important chapters in the whole book of Isaiah, because it also clearly foretells the mission of the Latter-day Saints and the destiny of the land of America in connection with the house of Israel. Nephi interpreted the chapter as foretelling that the land of America would receive some of scattered Israel, while his brother Jacob applied it both to the Jews in Jerusalem and to the Gentiles. Chapter 49 is of such importance that it ought to be studied diligently by every member of the Church.” ( “Great Are the Words of Isaiah,” pp. 173–74.)

And just because I need to go, and I haven't really posted anything that i have been learning about Isaiah, I am going to post a scripture that had me pondering yesterday.

Isaiah 50:1-2 "1. Thus saith the Lord, Where is the bill of your mothers divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.
2. Wherefore, when I came was there no man? when I called , was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver?"

Ancient Israel wasn't really living up their potential as the chosen people of God. They weren't spreading the good news of the gospel to others and doing missionary work, and actually they were even refusing to live the simple teachings and commandments they had been given. This scripture is talking about when the Lord came to Israel (when he "came home") no one was there because they had sold themselves to the world. He's saying, I didn't put you in these chains and bonds of sin and took you away, you did this yourself. But why did you not even call me? Did you believe I had no power to help you in these predicaments and you had to resort to the world's help?

I know I am enticed to rely on the arm of the flesh, and trust in my own faculties and what others tell me, rather than what the Lord has told me and will continue to tell me. But I need to remember that his ways truly are the best for me. These other ways will put me in bondage, while the Lord always always always will set me free. He loves me far more than I even love myself, kind of how I bet I love my toddler son Jack more than he loves himself. Which means I won't let him have Skittles for breakfast, because I have a little more knowledge than him about nutrition and energy and blood sugar levels and it will be better in the long run to just never have candy for breakfast.

And the Lord knows I need to learn to trust in Him completely because he does know much more than me about eternity and where I fit in that, and what my plan is in building his kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. I also follow this blog when I have a chance. I loved your comparison of the love of God for you to the love you have for your own little boy and not letting him eat candy for breakfast. What a simple way to break it down. Easy to relate to...especially at this point in my life as a mother. Love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going backward to read all your comments on Isaiah because I just got to 2 Nephi in my on-going Book of Mormon study and I am determined not only to understand this book but also to enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete