Monday, March 29, 2010

Charity part 1

I think forgiveness and charity go together. Of course charity and hope and faith are all connected like that three legged chair where you need all three or you can’t have any of them. But forgiveness and charity are also pretty connected for me. Which is one reason why I think Joseph responded so well to his circumstances, he had the gift of charity in his life. This can definitely help with forgiveness.

What are the words that go through your head when I say the word charity? A few that just pop through my mouth are pure love of Christ, not just doing alms, or good deeds, love,(obviously), Paul and 1 corinthians 13, and it’s more important than ANYTHING else.


O.k. so that’s my list, what about yours?


I remember back in high school my seminary teacher (a religion teacher for teenagers) challenged us to go home and study in the scriptures one principle or topic we didn’t feel we grasped very well. And on our way out the door he had us tell him what that topic was. I chose charity. All I knew was it was pretty important to have, but I didn’t know really what it was.


So I studied.


Go with me to 1 corinthians 13

4. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6. Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7. Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8. Charity never faileth…


That’s quite the list on its own, but then in Moroni 7:45-48, he repeats that list, tells us a little more about faith and hope and how they connect to that, and again repeats that charity is the most important.


However Paul also told us you can’t get charity by giving money to the poor, or moving mountains, or having the gift of prophecy and understanding all the mysteries of the universe. It’s not just thinking about others in a particularly loving way or reacting well to situations when people harm or hurt you.


We are told in Moroni 7:48 to “pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we have have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen”


We are told here charity is a gift. A gift given from God to love like the Savior. That’s why it’s called Christ-like love. But we have to ask and pray for it- with ALL the energy of our hearts. That’s a lot of energy, and that’s some amazing love to love like Christ.


What does that mean to you to love like that Savior?


I know as a high school student that was pretty overwhelming for me to read about. I can only get this charity stuff if I pray and ask God, and he might not give it to me, but it’s one of the most important things to have!?!!?


Well at least I knew more of the basics now, charity was love. A love I couldn’t get with only my little ole mortal self. God probably wanted me to have this gift, and there are a whole bunch of traits I can strive for to try to show him I’m working hard on becoming a more loving person in general. And I can pray a lot more for these gifts.


CHARITY TRAITS:

Suffereth long

Is kind

Envieth not

Seeketh not her own

Doth not behave herself unseemly (Footnote 1 cor 13:5a Greek translation: indecently, unbecomingly.)

Is not easily provoked (footnote to 1 cor 13:5c says self mastery)

Thinketh no evil

Rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth

Beareth all things

Believeth all things

Edureth all things


Tomorrow, my first real life charity encounter...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your new blog! Thanks for sharing your insights. Very thought provoking and motivating...

    ReplyDelete