Tuesday, January 11, 2011

No room for them in the inn

I know, I know. Christmas ended like 3 weeks ago. But, since our New Testament lesson schedule is on "Unto You Is Born... A Saviour" we get to stretch out the Christmas spirit a little longer.

Anyway, I was thinking and maybe pondering on Luke 2:7 today.

"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn."

I was thinking of how the greatest man that ever lived and will ever lived was born in a lowly stable. And how I sometimes think I am being righteous and doing good things, that somehow that means I don't have to have trials.

For example, because we pay our tithing, go to church, read our scriptures, and serve others we should not be unemployed right now. See that?

Jesus could have said the same thing. Because I am so "insert good quality/trait here (or just perfect)" I shouldn't have had to been born where animals eat their hay.

Or Mary could have said, because I am "highly favored and blessed among all women" (Luke 1:28) there should have been room for me to give birth to my child (not to mention the greatest child ever born) somewhere other than an animal outhouse!

But the thing is, we're not here on earth to be given good things by the Lord when we obey and are good. We are here to become like God.

And giving birth to the son of God in a stable helped Mary become more consecrated. Being unemployed for roughly a year and half has consecrated us, and I feel it has moved us across the country and back and will continue to move us to where we need to be to serve God and in the end become most like Him.

So I want you to do that today. Write down an absurd sentence like because I am so good at "reading my scriptures" I shouldn't have to deal with not being able to get pregnant, or not being able to get married, or living within a strict budget. Then see how you are growing in that trial, and maybe ask Heavenly Father what you can learn and become through it. Then maybe in a few more weeks or months you can then thank him for that trial because of the stronger more dedicated and amazing person you have become.

2 comments:

  1. What a great approach! Loving this way of thinking. Too often, I feel entitled to certain things and I know I shouldn't. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts!

    If we were able to take away that weird human trait that makes us complacent in good times then we wouldn't need trials to teach us; and, when we loose our need for complacency we actually pray for trials. So either way, trials are good.

    ReplyDelete